DAILY MANNA DCLM DEVOTIONAL MAY 20, 2019 — Mercy For The Contrite
DAILY MANNA DCLM DEVOTIONAL MAY 20, 2019
TOPIC: MERCY FOR THE CONTRITE
TEXT: 1 KINGS 21:17-29.
KEY VERSE: “And it came to pass, when Ahab heard those words, that he rent his clothes, and put sackcloth upon his flesh, and fasted, and lay in sackcloth, and went softly” (1 KINGS 21:27).
DAILY MANNA DCLM DEVOTIONAL
One of the great attributes of the Almighty God is His abundant mercies. The Bible describes Him as a God who forgives iniquity and a songwriter says, His mercy is like a “boundless tide like the waters of the sea that covers every sin of man…” Man, no matter his atrocities, sin and wickedness, can find and get pardon from God if he truly and sincerely repents.
The description of Ahab’s sins and wickedness in the text is such that made it looks as though such a one could never get a reprieve from God. The Bible says that he was incomparable in his wickedness and that his evils exceeded those of his predecessors. He was a sin-addict and seemed to derive pleasure in perpetrating wickedness. But when Elijah the prophet confronted him with the grim judgement of God hanging over him because of his sins, he sobered up. For the first time in his life, he humbled himself and expressed true sorrow and genuine repentance for a while. For this reason, God sent back Elijah to him commending him and aborting evil in his days.
This is an encouragement for all who may be weighed down by the heavy load of their sins today. Do you feel condemned by your sinful and wicked acts? Do you think you can never get pardon because of the extent you have gone in sin and wickedness? Do you see God’s looming judgement and feel there is no hiding place? Be encouraged to know that you can find forgiveness and pardon in Christ. God hates sin and will certainly bring judgement on sinners but you can receive mercy and forgiveness if you truly repent.
Like Ahab you, must humble yourself as you acknowledge your sins and confess all your sins with a determination to break completely away from them. Take a step further to make right your way with all those you have hurt with your sinful acts.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY Mercy awaits all who truly repents.
COVER TO COVER RUTH 3-4.
So great salvation
1. Atheist: Where was God when Ahab mercilessly and unjustly murdered Naboth? vv13,14.
God was waiting for Naboth to call on Him for intervention, but he did not but rather relied on his wisdom.
2. Even though evil doers continue in their evil, God is watching; and will surely judge at the right time vv19-22.
3. Can you observe that the judgement on Ahab was more severe than his wife?
vv19,23-25. Dogs would lick the blood of Ahab while dogs will eat the body of the wife. The greater the sin, the greater the severity of the punishment. He is truly a God of justice. Don’t expect anything different in hell.
4. Ahab, a record breaker in evil doing? v25. What is God’s record about you?
5. Matchless grace and mercy: When it comes to forgiveness and mercy, the depth of the wickedness is not under consideration but the sincerity and genuineness of repentance vv25,27-29. Jesus paid it all. There is hope for every sinner.
1. Years I spent in vanity and pride,
Caring not my Lord was crucified,
Knowing not it was for me He died
Mercy there was great, and grace was free;
Pardon there was multiplied to me;
There my burdened soul found liberty,
2. By God’s Word at last my sin I learned;
Then I trembled at the law I’d spurned,
Till my guilty soul imploring turned
3. Now I’ve giv’n to Jesus everything,
Now I gladly own Him as my King,
Now my raptured soul can only sing
4. Oh, the love that drew salvation’s plan!
Oh, the grace that brought it down to man!
Oh, the mighty gulf that God did span
1. Praise God deeply for how Jesus made salvation free through His sacrificial death.
2. Praise God if you already have an assurance of your sins forgiven.
3. Ask God for full and free salvation if you don’t have it. Repentance and faith in Christ are the only conditions.
4. Pray for conviction of sins and salvation for the religious sinners and wicked people in the Church.
DAILY MANNA DCLM DEVOTIONAL BY PASTOR W F KUMUYI
Impossible Is Not God